If you’re an avid baker, you may have heard of a turntable in the context of cake decorating.
But what exactly is a turntable in baking, and why is it such a popular tool among bakers?
In this article, we’ll explore the ins and outs of turntables, including what they are, how they work, and why they’re so essential for creating beautiful cakes.
Whether you’re a professional pastry chef or a home baker looking to up your cake decorating game, read on to discover everything you need to know about turntables in baking.
What Is Turntable In Baking
A turntable in baking is a tool used for cake decorating. It is essentially a rotating platform that allows you to easily access all sides of a cake while you’re frosting or decorating it.
The turntable is typically made of plastic, metal, or a combination of both materials. It has a flat top surface that can hold a cake of various sizes and shapes. The base of the turntable is designed to rotate smoothly, allowing you to spin the cake as you work on it.
How Does A Turntable Work?
The turntable works by providing a stable surface for your cake and allowing you to rotate it as needed. This means that you can easily reach all sides of the cake without having to move around it or awkwardly contort yourself to reach certain areas.
To use a turntable, you simply place your cake on the flat top surface and secure it in place with either frosting or a non-slip mat. Then, you can begin frosting or decorating your cake as desired while spinning it on the rotating base. This allows you to achieve a smooth and even finish on your cake without any lumps, bumps, or missed spots.
Turntables are particularly useful for creating intricate designs or patterns on cakes, as they allow you to work with precision and accuracy. They also make it easier to apply even layers of frosting or icing, which can be difficult to achieve without a turntable.
Why Is A Turntable Essential For Cake Decorating?
If you’re a serious baker who loves getting creative with elaborate cakes and sugarwork, an icing turntable is a must-have tool in your kitchen. A turntable makes cake decorating so much easier and efficient, allowing you to achieve professional-looking results every time.
One of the biggest advantages of a turntable is that it provides a level surface for your cake. This is particularly important when you’re working with multi-layered cakes, as it ensures that each layer is even and straight. A turntable also eliminates the need to move the cake around as you decorate it, which can be a messy and frustrating process.
The rotating feature of the turntable is what makes it truly essential for cake decorating. It allows you to easily access all sides of the cake without having to awkwardly reach over it or move around the kitchen. This makes it much easier to apply buttercream, smooth sheets of icing, pipe frosting or stick decorations on your bake.
A turntable also makes it easier to create intricate designs on your cake. By rotating the cake as you work, you can create smooth lines and even patterns with ease. This can be particularly helpful when you’re working with piping bags or trying to create detailed designs.
Types Of Turntables For Baking
There are several types of turntables available for baking, each with its own unique features and benefits.
1. Aluminum Turntables: Aluminum turntables are typically lightweight and durable, making them a popular choice among professional bakers. They often come with a non-slip surface to keep the cake in place while you’re working on it.
2. Cast Iron Turntables: Cast iron turntables are heavier and more stable than aluminum ones, making them a great option for larger cakes. They also tend to have a smoother rotation due to their weight.
3. Plastic Turntables: Plastic turntables are often the most affordable option and are easy to clean. However, they may not be as durable or stable as other materials and may not rotate as smoothly.
4. Multi-Functional Turntables: Some turntables come with additional features, such as adjustable heights or built-in tools like icing smoothers and spatulas. These can be convenient for bakers who want an all-in-one solution for their cake decorating needs.
Ultimately, the type of turntable you choose will depend on your personal preferences and baking needs. It’s important to invest in a high-quality turntable that will last you for years to come and make your cake decorating process easier and more efficient.
Tips For Using A Turntable In Baking
Using a turntable in baking can make cake decorating much easier and more efficient. Here are some tips for using a turntable effectively:
1. Choose the right turntable: There are many different types of turntables available, so it’s important to choose one that suits your needs. Consider the size of the cakes you typically work with, as well as your budget and personal preferences.
2. Secure the cake: Before placing your cake on the turntable, make sure it is level and stable. You can use a cake board or cardboard cutout to provide a flat surface for the cake to sit on. Once the cake is in place, use a small amount of frosting or icing to secure it to the turntable.
3. Start slow: When you first start using a turntable, it can be tempting to spin it quickly in order to get the job done faster. However, this can lead to mistakes and uneven frosting. Instead, start with a slow rotation and gradually increase the speed as you become more comfortable.
4. Use a frosting spatula: A frosting spatula is an essential tool when it comes to decorating cakes on a turntable. Use it to apply frosting evenly across the surface of the cake, working from the center outwards.
5. Rotate frequently: As you work on your cake, be sure to rotate it frequently in order to access all sides and angles. This will help ensure that your frosting and decorations are even and consistent.
6. Clean as you go: Finally, be sure to clean your turntable regularly as you work. Wipe down the surface with a damp cloth or paper towel in between cakes to prevent any leftover frosting or crumbs from affecting your next creation.
By following these tips, you can make the most of your turntable and create beautiful, professional-looking cakes with ease.